Friday, November 06, 2015

Invest Now!, Buy A Land!


I always say that once I make enough money to invest in anything, it will be a land investment. My reason is very simple. Lands appreciate. What do I mean?. Ok, here's an example. In the 1990s, back when the Nigerian Naira had so much value than it does right now, a man bought 2 plots of land for N160,000, N80,000 for each plot. That was in the 1990s. Recently, last year to be precise, he sold the land for N15M. Land, which over time, had been reduced to almost 1 and half plot by the "Omonile" (people who own the land before selling but still exercise some form of kind of authority over the land even after sales) he bought it from. How?. Well, when they were selling the land next to the one the man bought, they cut into the man's land thereby reducing the actual 2 plots size. Still, it went for as much as N15M!. It could have been more, but the structure of the land made it water logged and it couldn't be priced higher than that.

What am I trying to say?. Investing in a land property never goes wrong. After working in real estate for a little over 4 years and a personal experience, I have witnessed first hand how much a land can appreciate over time. When you buy a land now, depending on the location, structure and condition of the land both during rainy and dry seasons, it can become 2, 3, 5 or even 10 times the actual in price in just 5 years!. Sometimes less than that.

Now, not alot of people know this. Most people make money and the next thing they think about is "I want to buy a car".Now, while there is nothing wrong with buying and owning a car, a car is kinda a liability. A short-term investment. An investment you spend more money on. An investment that brings in little or no money for you, though this depends on whether it is for personal or commercial use. Don't get me wrong. Of course!, I love a good car. If you buy me one now, I will definitely accept it dancing shoki. Lol!. But, if I saved up enough money that could afford a nice car, abeg, I will jump buses for a little longer and spend that money investing in a land. I will pay rent a little longer. I will leg it under the sun for a while more. I will endure being squeezed in a commercial bus like sardine for a little longer. LOL!. I will endure all that knowing I have a land property/investment in my name.

So, if you have some amount of money just sitting in your bank account, instead of just letting it sit in your account, look for a land to buy. Even the banks that are helping you keep your money, those banks invest in real estate. They use your money to buy lands, houses, develop estates, etc. If you cant afford a land with an outright payment (land that you pay for at once), go for a land that has a mortgage plan (land that you pay bit by bit for) to suit your income.

In Nigeria, the real estate industry is one of the most lucrative industries and it has a future here. So, stop thinking about driving the latest car when you're still a tenant and don't have a long-term investment in your name. Buy a land!

No comments:

Post a Comment