Friday, October 02, 2015

The Sudden Hype in Weddings


Recently, I saw in the news that DJ Xclusive was going to have his traditional wedding on the 1st of October which was yesterday, then I later came across pictures of the traditional wedding. When I looked at those pictures, I saw one thing – Humility. Now, I don’t know DJ Xclusive that well but I know he is a talented and internationally recognized professional Disc Jockey a.k.a DJ. He is one of the sons of Folorunsho Alakija, whom according to Wikipedia is currently worth US$2.1 billion and times without number has been mentioned as one of the richest women in Africa and one of the most powerful women in the world. I know he is\was one of the presenters of a radio show on Cool FM Lagos with Freeze and another female presenter (Kayla O, I think, not sure). I know he didn’t let the fame, wealth and Mummy’s name stop him from following his own path and making his money. I know I like him. Lol. Hey!, he’s cute!. Though he’s got good music, mad beats and all but doesn’t know how to sing and honestly, is worse than DJ Khaled with all that yelling. Lol. Anyways, Xclusive, no diss intended. Back to the wedding. Ok, so, the traditional wedding looked so simple and very warm. Not loud like what we see these days. I wasn’t there o!, before you start thinking I was the event’s MC, Lol!. The wedding, from the pictures I saw, it all looked too down to earth and simple and warm and what other simple words can I use to describe it?. It looked humble!. These days, it seems like this person’s wedding is trying to out-do that person’s wedding.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the creativity and all of some of these weddings, like the pre-wedding photoshoot pictures of Ubi Franklin and Lilian Esoro - who have also started their "wedding process". Find a picture from the shoot below.

Cute, Creative and Never-Seen-Before

These days, its more about the wedding that the marriage. Do you see how much effort is put into weddings these days?. Do you see all the different stages of a wedding we now currently have?. Tonto Dike’s introduction ceremony had her whole village coming out. Aren’t Introductions supposed to be between families of the bride and groom?. And then Tonto Dike also had her “Bride Price Payment Ceremony”. WHAT???. Lol. I’m guessing there’s going to be a traditional wedding and a church wedding and a court wedding and maybe a “moving in with the husband“ ceremony and then maybe an “I am now a married woman” ceremony. Nne Tonto, no diss intended.

Jeez!, when did all this sudden hype in weddings start?.  Yes, some people will say “its their wedding, they can do it as they please”, sure!, absolutely!. But sadly that’s actually one of the reasons most marriages fail. You focus more on a one day event than the actual institution that should and is intended to last a lifetime - Marriage!!!. Now people who can’t afford a huge wedding like what they see these days, because they now believe it’s the “norm”, will now have to do pass their power just to fit in and have the wedding that fits society’s standards. Sad!.

DJ Xclusive can definitely afford to shut down Lagos, If he wants, for his wedding. With the influence of his family, he can choose to start his wedding in a glamorous and grand style. But, he chose simplicity. No pre-wedding shoot. Well, none that caught the eyes of the media. Nothing loud, just simple!. But come to think of it, maybe they’re just keeping us curious. Lol!. Maybe there’s actually a huge cat that might be let out the bag. Well, we’re watching. Find beautiful pictures from the wedding which held yesterday below.




Happy Married life to the Cute Couple

Pls don’t get me wrong. I don’t hate weddings. I just feel that weddings are beautiful but will last a day. How about channeling that energy into a marriage of a lifetime.

Before’s are beautiful, but After’s are even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment